Navigation

Friday, June 13, 2014

A friend's review of The Devil's Dance by Johnny Stone!!

Another great review of a Johnny Stone book, The Devil's Dance! Thank you, Julia!

**********

Not so new explorations - Reading Johnny Stone - Reading the book that actually drew me to the author (November 2013)

The Devil's Dance by Johnny Stone
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Reviewed by Julia O

I honestly don't know where to start but I guess the beginning is as good as anything - I was immediately drawn to this book when I first looked up Stone's author profile a couple of months ago - it was the title, the cover, the description, the everything - I knew, I had to read it. It's been a while since then and I have since learned to appreciate Stone as an intelligent, imaginative, teasing and witty author with an amazing "sixth" sense for the use of his language that tells his stories, he really is a favourite of mine and that does not happen all that often for me.

The Devil's Dance is a very special story - it presents the reader with an opportunity to fantasise along with its characters - What if I had a "Dream Journal"? What if I stood face-to-face with a handsome devil? What if...? More often than not, I put the book down at night and had my mind wander and thought about the endless possibilities for the story. If you know Stone, it may not surprise you that he took the story in the directions that he did, staying true to his own style of erotica but, at the heart of it, was this fantastically original story that made it so very enjoyable to read.

I missed a little something here that would have made it even more perfect in my opinion - Cherry is, among other things, on a journey of self-discovery with some interesting revelations. At times, I would have liked her introspections to go on for longer, I would have liked to know her better psychologically, I would have wanted more. Additionally, a chapter from Sameal's point of view would have been a great addition - I think he goes through some major things too and I feel a yearning to know his story.

But this doesn't mean that this book isn't one of the best I've read in terms of imagination, language and general content - I simply think that Stone has more in him, more to give in many ways as an author.

All that's left to say is one word - chapeau!

*I have the continuous privilege to interact with the author here on Goodreads. To the best of my knowledge this is an objective, fair and honest review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment